Friday, February 13, 2009

The Madison Ipod Culture

I remember the first time I got to Madison. I remember my first day of classes. I remember seeing everyone walking around listening to their ipods and wondering if I had missed the memo. I had an mp3 player, but it was no ipod. I almost felt too embarrassed to listen to music on the way to class. And it was all just because it wasn't an ipod.

Now, of course I have an ipod. I didn't realize what a big part of the Madison campus culture is through the ipod. No matter where you go, you can be sure to see people plugged in and tuned out. What I thought was interesting is the amount of people at the lab that I work in that listen to music while working. Has the workplace gotten sooooo bad that nobody wants to talk to their coworkers anymore? Well, that's what I thought at first anyway. But now, I also listen to my ipod at work. Ironic? Yes, but for me, it's all part of fitting into the culture.

9 comments:

  1. When I first arrived in Madison it was kind of a wake-up. I had never considered walking down the street with headphones on or earbuds in. I guess it is part of the "culture" or could it be considered a lack of culture, a sort of cultural vacuum? I'm not exactly sure what I think of that.

    For sure, though, lots of people like their iPods in Madison! I estimated as I walked back to my room after Wednesday's class, and I'd say maybe one in four were listening to their iPods. I guess anything that makes a city 1/4 less crowded can't be all bad...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may not believe this, but I just got my first iPod for Valentine's Day from my boyfriend. I just couldn't justify spending the money that could be used for books or rent.

    I agree that it is definitely a culture that you feel like you have to fit into.

    As far as listening to it at work...first, doesnt it distract people from their work? second, I think those interactions with coworkers are important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some people have the ability of not getting distracted by music. When I used to work and whenever I study, I usually listen to an iPod. iPods can make boring settings more pleasurable and the music doesn’t distract me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It might not just be ipods, this old woman I work for listens to her orchestra tapes on an old school stereo....it is pretty bad ass. I think people are soothed and relaxed by whatever music they choose to listen to, it definitely helps me study and work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unlike you all, I am totally unproductive if I try to listen to my music and study or read. Don't you all start singing along with the music and get distracted? Today for example, when I was studying for my physics midterm (help!) I sat in the stacks, alone, in silence, with the book and equations. Some people might dread this, but it is a lot more enjoyable in the silence than it would be with my mix of rap, rock, and alternative musics. The music would have crowded my thoughts and not let me focus on truly learning the material. Has anyone ever thought that instead of soothing your studies and work, listening to music adds to the commotion in your head?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've spent a lot of time visiting friends around the state and country, and its not just Madison. It seems like every college town is infected with the iPod disease. Those little white earbuds seem to be more of a fashion statement now than their functional use as headphones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I try to sync my music with the things I am doing so that it helps me instead of hurts me. For example, I never listen to anything with lyrics when I study, but listen to jazz or classical.

    The same goes with working out. When i run, i listen to fast paced music, but when I run for distance, I run to different music as well. I think music can definitly be utilized for a purpose, but it can be extremely distracting as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I definitely agree with Jennifer! I get super distracted if I am actually trying to focus on something while listening to music or even watching TV. So I find it really strange that people are listening to iPods in a lab of all places! Couldn't that be a safety hazard? :)

    ReplyDelete