Friday, February 20, 2009

iFart vs. Pull My Finger

Sounds a little bit strange, I know. But I came across this blog that talks about the battle between 2 iphone fart applications. Apparently iFart came out first and when you touch the screen, it makes a farting noise. It is one of the top selling iphone applications, so naturally, another company came out with a similar application called Pull My Finger.
This really caught my eye...I had NO idea these even existed! I thinks it's pretty funny....but I'm not sure if I would like my phone making farting noises. I'm also not sure if this really relates to the cyborg discussions we've had in class this past week, but I thought it was interesting that rather than technology modifying our bodies, we have modified the technology to mimic our bodies. Perhaps this has some relation to the environment in which we all take in and therefore, according to Clark, contributes to us all as cyborgs. I'm curious to know what you all think about this!
The fact that there are 2 companies debating over a trademark phrase (pull my finger) seemed pretty outrageous to me. Could you imagine talking about flatulence in a court room, without laughing? I know I couldn't.

4 comments:

  1. This kind of reminds me of those Coke Zero vs. Coke commercials, kind of ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we should make a program that makes machine like noises whenever they move it. That way they know that they are cyborgs. It makes perfect sense!

    That way we wouldn't have any issues with our identities (as we have already discussed in the class)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. This sounds like an argument you would have in 5th grade. Maybe I'll switch my major to law, cases like this make it sound so much more fun then education. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not only are we adapting our technology to mimic our bodies, we are using them to augment our other behaviors. In this case, childish humor (I do think its funny though). I would say that this is completely in line with the "Natural Born Cyborgs" idea. It now allows pranksters to continue their craft even when they do not have gas.

    ReplyDelete